Boat Registration

Alabama registers all mechanically propelled vessels, sailboats, and boats for hire. All Geneva County boat owners may register, renew or transfer ownership at our office. If you are not a resident of Alabama, registration can be accomplished at the Marine Police Division office in Montgomery, Alabama. All dealers and livery (rental) must register with the Marine Police Division. 

Alabama law changed the boat fees beginning September 1, 2007. The four (4) boat classes and new fees are as follows:

Class I – Less than 16 ft. $ 22.00 fee 
Class II – 16 ft. less than 26 ft $ 27.00 fee 
Class III – 26 ft. less than 40 ft $ 77.00 fee 
Class IV – 40 ft. and above $102.00 fee 

A duplicate decal or boat certificate may be issued for a lost or destroyed item. The fee is $5.00. 

A transfer fee of $ 5.00 applies to vessels with a current year registration but needs to be transferred into a new owner’s name. If the vessel has no current registration, then the transfer fee plus the correct class fee above will be collected. Sales and use tax applies to the purchase price of boats at the same local rates as applies to vehicles. 

When you purchase a boat from an individual, the seller should provide the purchaser the last registration certificate of the boat and a bill of sale. The bill of sale must have two witness signatures or be notarized. 

There is a 72 hour grace period for the registration of a new boat. When the boat has a current decal you have 10 days to register the boat in your name. There is no grace period for a used boat. If you buy a used boat with an expired registration, you must currently register the boat before it is used in Alabama waters.

If your vessel is brought into Geneva County from another state, then no transfer fee is applied. A new Alabama registration number will be issued. Please present your last state registration certificate when registering in this county.

The Alabama boat registration system is on a staggered basis similar to vehicle registration. (Boat Renewal Schedule)

The first letter of an individual’s last name determines the month of renewal. State law does not allow for prorating of the class fees above on a monthly basis. 

For boating information related to rules, regulations and enforcement, you may wish to contact the Alabama Marine Police at (334) 242-3673, or visit www.outdooralabama.com. For Federal Boating Laws, visit the U.S. Coast Guard’s Boating Safety website at: www.uscgboating.org.

© 2024 - Geneva County, AL

Any citizen who has a county road maintenance request is to contact the Road and Bridge Department at (334) 684-3450 or send an email to our office by clicking this link: gcrbinfo@genevacountyal.gov.  The County Highway Department operating hours are Monday through Thursday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  After hours, non-emergency requests may be left on the answering service.  Emergency requests should call 911.