Document Recording Check Acceptance Policy


1. Acceptable forms of payment are: cash, certified check, cashier’s check, ‘bank’ check, bank ‘official’ check, debit card, credit card or money order.

2. No ‘third-party’ checks will be accepted.

3. All checks and money orders should be made payable to the Judge of Probate.

4. The name and address of the individual or business entity submitting the check should be printed on the face of the check. No ‘starter’ or ‘counter’ checks will be accepted.

5. Checks from Alabama will be accepted subject to being removed for presenting a ‘bad’ check.

6. Persons offering a check for a document recording will be requested to furnish a current Alabama driver’s license (or an Alabama non-driver identification card), date of birth, driver’s license number and telephone number.


Presenting a check which is returned to the Court for non-payment for any reason will result in the loss of the privilege of recording or purchasing documents by personal or business check. Reinstatement of such privileges must be pre-approved by the Judge of Probate and/or Chief Probate Clerk.

© 2024 - Geneva County, AL

Any citizen who has a county road maintenance request is to contact the Road and Bridge Department at (334) 684-3450 or send an email to our office by clicking this link: gcrbinfo@genevacountyal.gov.  The County Highway Department operating hours are Monday through Thursday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  After hours, non-emergency requests may be left on the answering service.  Emergency requests should call 911.